Deere & Company purchased the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company in March of 1918 and for eight years continued to manufacture Waterloo Boy Gasoline engines at Waterloo, Iowa. In 1923 they introduced the John Deere Model "E" gasoline engine. This engine was manufactured in 3 sizes (1-1/2, 3, and 6 Horsepower) until 1946 with very few and very minor changes in the design of the engine.The smallest and most numerous of the Model "E" is the 1-1/2 HP, with a 3" bore and a 4" stroke. Most of these engines used hit and miss ignition, an igniter, and a low tension magneto ... only a few used a spark plug, battery and coil. The head is a "dry" head with the fuel mixer cast as a part of the head. The gasoline tank is mounted below the flat oil pan and between the skids. The engine features an enclosed crankcase. Oiling of the engine is accomplished with an oil cup mounted on the oil pan. The balls of the governor rotate inside this cup of oil and splash oil to all parts of the engine. There is no crankcase ventilation.